Skip to main content

SPAIN - TERROR ATTACKS: First Barcelona victims named are Italian man and Belgian woman


With citizens from 24 countries among dead and injured, hospitals ask English, Italian and French translators for help.

Citizens from at least two dozen countries have been injured or killed in the van attack in Las Ramblas, Barcelona, and the coastal town of Cambrils, according to Catalan authorities.


By Friday morning, 14 people were dead and more than 100 injured. They come from countries including France, Belgium, Italy, Venezuela, Australia, Ireland, Peru, Algeria and China.
The first of the dead to be named was an Italian man, Bruno Gulotta, who was on holiday with his partner and two children, according to his colleagues at the online tech publication Tom’s Hardware. The company’s Facebook page said it was in mourning.
Pino Bruno, the head of the company where Gulotta worked, was quoted by the Italian news agency Ansa as saying the man’s wife had told him she, Gulotta and their two children were walking down La Rambla when the van appeared and Gulotta knelt down to successfully shield their son, six, and daughter, seven months, from the attack.
The second victim was a Belgian woman, Elke Vanbockrijck. Patrick Dewael, the mayor of Tongeren, sent his condolences and told Belgian radio that he had presided over her wedding in 2014. Vanbockrijck, 44, was reported to have been in the city on holiday with her husband and two sons, aged 11 and 14.
The youngest victim of the attacks was thought to be a three-year-old girl, Spanish media reported. She died shortly after she was taken to hospital. A six-year-old girl of unknown nationality was taken to hospital with a cerebral haemorrhage, an official at Vall d’Hebron university hospital told the New York Times.
So far, the British foreign office has received no confirmed reports of British citizens injured or killed.
Chris Pawley, 30, a survivor of the Manchester bombing who was visiting Spain with his partner and was in the area when the attack occurred, told the Manchester Evening News he couldn’t believe he had been caught up in a second terrorism incident in under six months. He had just left the Ariana Grande concert in May when the bomb detonated. 
Pawley said of Thursday’s attack: “There was police everywhere and ambulances, the shops started putting the shutters down. We have just come back to the hotel, as we were caught up in the arena attack – can’t believe it.”
France has confirmed that 26 of its citizens were injured, with 11 in a serious condition. The Spanish newspaper La Vanguardia, quoting police, said three Germans were among the dead.
Belgium’s foreign affairs minister, Didier Reynders, confirmed on Twitter that one of its citizens had been killed in the attack, and said the Belgian embassy was in touch with hospitals in the area regarding other possible victims.
The Hague said three Dutch nationals had been injured, and a Greek diplomat reported three nationals had been wounded: a woman and her two children. China said two people from Taiwan were being treated for severe injuries sustained in the Barcelona attack. It also confirmed that a citizen of Hong Kong had minor injuries. The US state department said it knew of one American with minor injuries.
Australia’s foreign minister, Julie Bishop, said four Australians had been hurt – two women in a serious but stable condition, and two men who were “directly affected” and had retreated to their hotel to seek medical attention in the morning. One Australian was missing, she added.
Throughout the long, chaotic night there were urgent appeals on social media for English, Italian and French translators to make their way to hospitals and clinics to assist staff attending the dozens of non-Spanish speaking victims.
Ireland’s Department of Foreign Affairs confirmed that it was helping a family of four caught up in the attack. A man originally from the Philippines and resident in Ireland, who was on holiday with his wife and two children, was hit on his side and may need an operation, but his injuries were not life-threatening, Emmanuel Fernandez, the consul general of the embassy of the Philippines in Madrid, told the Irish broadcaster RTÉ.
Overnight, many countries set up emergency helplines for their citizens caught up in the violence, and sent out warnings for those trapped in the affected area to remain inside while counter-terrorism efforts were under way.
Spanish police, meanwhile, swept through the narrow alleys branching off Las Ramblas, past deserted outdoor cafes, where half-eaten plates of tapas lay abandoned by fleeing diners.
Spanish authorities are yet to publish the names of the dead and injured. Foreign embassies are still scrambling to establish who has been affected. Many tourists are not believed to have registered their travel plans and movements.
Many parts of central Barcelona remained sealed off overnight, with guests told to stay in their homes or hotels, and the metro and most transport routes shut down. Families and friends have been split up, with police evacuating people to different parts of the city, and mobile phone networks overwhelmed.
Catalan authorities urged those affected to stay off the phone networks and use social media to inform their loved ones they were OK. Facebook activated its safety check device for the attack, as it did for the terror attacks in Manchester and London.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floyd Mayweather teases potential UFC bout by stepping inside the octagon as Conor McGregor responds with 'f*** the Mayweathers'

Floyd Mayweather has teased a the idea of himself fighting in the UFC in recent months and the boxing icon went one step further on Tuesday, posting a video of himself stepping into a mixed martial arts cage. With no caption accompanying the clip, The Money Team leader can be seen entering an octagon before pacing up and down as if he were about to engage in an actual MMA bout.  And Conor McGregor, the man who entered the boxing ring to fight Mayweather in a money-spinning Las Vegas showdown in August last year, was quick to notice. He wrote on Twitter: 'Hahahaha very good. Keep up the good work my son. Yours sincerely, Senior.'  The Irishman followed up his response with a picture of himself and his son with the caption *f*** the Mayweathers'. Mayweather set fans' pulses racing last month when he claimed he had been approached by the UFC about a potential MMA fight.  'They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back,' he said. 'I can come righ…

Chelsea complete £17.5million deal for defender Emerson Palmieri from Roma

Roma defender Emerson Palmieri has completed his £17.5million move to Chelsea. Palmieri posed for pictures with the shirt on Tuesday evening after completing his medical and penning a four-and-a-half year contract. The Brazilian, who has been assigned the No 33 shirt at Chelsea, left his home in Rome to fly to London earlier in the day.  The 23-year-old left-back underwent several medical tests before putting pen to paper to move to Stamford Bridge. 'I came here because it’s a great team with a great history,' Emerson said. 'Today I am realising one of my dreams to pull on the shirt of such a great club. ‘English football is something I have been watching since I was 15 years old. It is a really beautiful game over here but it is going to be even more beautiful to play it.’ Chelsea have agreed to pay a further £5.2m in bonuses for Palmieri, who is likely to be eligible to face Watford next Monday. The Brazilian had been lined up as part of a double swoop with Edin Dzeko, but Che…

Anthony Joshua working hard in the gym as he steps up preparations for Joseph Parker showdown

With just over two months to go until his return to the ring, Anthony Joshua is shaping up nicely after putting in the hard yards at the gym. The world heavyweight champion faces Joseph Parker at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on March 31, where he beat Carlos Takam in October. And trainer Jamie Reynolds has shared footage of the 28-year-old stepping up his preparations with various workouts in the gym. With the clock ticking ahead of the fight, Parker has outlined how he feels he can better his opponent. 'I want to fight a fight that's going to be a fast-paced fight… movement, speed and just different angles – I think that's how we are going to attack Joshua,' Parker told Radio Live. 'He's [Joshua] dominated fighters that stand in front of him, that don't move – all they do is protect themselves,' Parker said about Joshua. When it comes to finding a sparring partner, Parker is looking for a similar fighting style to his 6ft 5in, 240-pound opponent Joshua…