Skip to main content

NIGERIA - FG intercepts 3 more anti-Igbo songs

Federal Government, yesterday, said it had intercepted three anti-Igbo songs in circulation. It condemned the act, saying voices of hate, misunderstanding and lack of appreciation had begun to blur the beautiful diversity for which the world admired Nigeria.
“NOA is in possession of at least three songs already recorded to preach hate in our communities. Two out of these songs are in mass circulation in the social media, particularly on Facebook and Youtube. The latest one was only released three days ago. The more disturbing part of this is that each of the songs appears to want to outdo the other,” Director General of the National Orientation Agency (NOA), Dr. Garba Abari, said at a press conference in Abuja.
Abari who disclosed that security agencies have begun manhunt for composers and sponsors of the hate songs and recordings, vowed that government would do everything possible to protect lives and property of Nigerians.
“We are also aware that messages from Indigenous People of Biafra (IPOB) group have continually been filled with hate and derision for other ethnic communities.  We have also noticed that those who dare to call them to order have become the subject of attack by these groups through their songs and messages,” he stated.
He said the current altercations and vituperations of hate across the country by individuals, well-known leaders, religious leaders, groups of persons and organisations were ominous signs of looming disaster, which if unchecked, would plunge the country into crisis with deadly destructive effects.
The NOA DG noted that Acting President Yemi Osinbajo had devoted most of the last two months in consultations with leaders of thoughts from every region to re-emphasise the imperatives of unity, stressing that from those consultations, it was clear that Nigerians were desirous of a united country.
He further disclosed that State Directorates and Community Orientation and Mobilisation Officers (COMOs) of NOA had been directed to commence peace-building sensitisation and advocacy visits to settler communities to reassure them of government’s commitment to their safety and security, in order to contain the several agitations by ethno-religious interests, which had also led to illegal quit orders and counter orders against some communities.
He added that the agency would soon embark on a nationwide advocacy campaign against hate and intolerance.
Meanwhile, Ohanaeze Ndigbo has flayed the silence of some northern leaders in the wake of the rising wave of hate songs against Igbo.
President General of the body, Chief John Nnia Nwodo said it was surprising that northern leaders were yet to openly condemn the hate songs.
He stated this in a statement he personally signed.
“The current Hausa hate song trending in the social media is despicable, sad and disappointing. Ohanaeze is appalled that prominent leaders in the north  (with the exception of a few), have allowed this development to flourish without reproach.
“The Arewa youths have stoked the embers of hatred to a discomforting temperature. The toleration of their criminal conduct has portrayed the Federal government as biased and unfair.”
The former minister of information added: “Their quit notice to fellow Nigerians to leave any part of Nigeria strikes at the fundamental rights of citizenship. It is a call for the dissolution of the country. Their call for an inventory and seizure of assets of Nigerians living in the North is conversion. It amounts to a daylight robbery of lawful property.
“The declaration of mop up action after October 1 to deal with those who resist their quit notice order is a declaration of war. It is surprising that on top of all these, a hate song calling for more hatred, despise and “abortion” has been allowed to fester. Yet, no one is arrested. All the orders of arrest from Kaduna State and the IGP seem to be ambivalent and unreal. The youths meet freely with governors of northern Nigeria and northern leaders showing that they enjoy their support.”
The Ohanaeze boss warned that the development signals the beginning of a national catastrophe which if not nipped in the bud will snowball into incalculable damage to the continued existence on Nigeria as one country.
Many prominent Nigerians and groups including former president Goodluck Jonathan, ex-vice president Atiku Abubakar, National Chairman of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Chief John Odigie-Oyegun and former Abia governor, Dr. Orji Uzor Kalu, have condemned the hate songs recorded in Hausa.
Source: The Sun (Nigeria)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floyd Mayweather teases potential UFC bout by stepping inside the octagon as Conor McGregor responds with 'f*** the Mayweathers'

Floyd Mayweather has teased a the idea of himself fighting in the UFC in recent months and the boxing icon went one step further on Tuesday, posting a video of himself stepping into a mixed martial arts cage. With no caption accompanying the clip, The Money Team leader can be seen entering an octagon before pacing up and down as if he were about to engage in an actual MMA bout.  And Conor McGregor, the man who entered the boxing ring to fight Mayweather in a money-spinning Las Vegas showdown in August last year, was quick to notice. He wrote on Twitter: 'Hahahaha very good. Keep up the good work my son. Yours sincerely, Senior.'  The Irishman followed up his response with a picture of himself and his son with the caption *f*** the Mayweathers'. Mayweather set fans' pulses racing last month when he claimed he had been approached by the UFC about a potential MMA fight.  'They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back,' he said. 'I can come righ…

Chelsea complete £17.5million deal for defender Emerson Palmieri from Roma

Roma defender Emerson Palmieri has completed his £17.5million move to Chelsea. Palmieri posed for pictures with the shirt on Tuesday evening after completing his medical and penning a four-and-a-half year contract. The Brazilian, who has been assigned the No 33 shirt at Chelsea, left his home in Rome to fly to London earlier in the day.  The 23-year-old left-back underwent several medical tests before putting pen to paper to move to Stamford Bridge. 'I came here because it’s a great team with a great history,' Emerson said. 'Today I am realising one of my dreams to pull on the shirt of such a great club. ‘English football is something I have been watching since I was 15 years old. It is a really beautiful game over here but it is going to be even more beautiful to play it.’ Chelsea have agreed to pay a further £5.2m in bonuses for Palmieri, who is likely to be eligible to face Watford next Monday. The Brazilian had been lined up as part of a double swoop with Edin Dzeko, but Che…

Anthony Joshua working hard in the gym as he steps up preparations for Joseph Parker showdown

With just over two months to go until his return to the ring, Anthony Joshua is shaping up nicely after putting in the hard yards at the gym. The world heavyweight champion faces Joseph Parker at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on March 31, where he beat Carlos Takam in October. And trainer Jamie Reynolds has shared footage of the 28-year-old stepping up his preparations with various workouts in the gym. With the clock ticking ahead of the fight, Parker has outlined how he feels he can better his opponent. 'I want to fight a fight that's going to be a fast-paced fight… movement, speed and just different angles – I think that's how we are going to attack Joshua,' Parker told Radio Live. 'He's [Joshua] dominated fighters that stand in front of him, that don't move – all they do is protect themselves,' Parker said about Joshua. When it comes to finding a sparring partner, Parker is looking for a similar fighting style to his 6ft 5in, 240-pound opponent Joshua…