Skip to main content

NIGERIA - Breaking: Court adjourns ruling on Evans’ N300m suit against NPF, Owoseni, SARS

The Justice Abdulaziz Anka-led Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has adjourned till Wednesday the ruling on whether to hear a suit filed against the Nigeria Police Force, Commissioner of Police Lagos State, Mr. Fatai Owoseni and the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Lagos State Police Command by suspected notorious billionaire kidnapper, Chukwudumeme Onwuamadike, a.k.a Evans.


Evans is claiming the sum of N300 million as general and exemplary damages against the Police for alleged illegal detention and unconstitutional media trial.

In the suit, Evans is also asking the court to declare that his continued detention since June 10 without arraignment violates his fundamental rights as guaranteed under the 1999 Constitution.

Evans who asked the court to order the respondents to immediately arraign him before a law court or release him from custody forthwith is also demanding that his parade on June 11 before journalists at the Lagos Police Command Headquarters in Ikeja without any court order was unconstitutional and illegal.

However, Counsel to the respondents, Mr. Eze, on Tuesday August 15, argued before Justice Anka that the suit should not be heard because the Inspector General of Police, Mr. Ibrahim Idris and the Lagos state Police Commissioner, Mr. Owho have not been personally served with the court processes.

But Evans’ lawyer countered by saying that the law, under Order 5 Rule 2 of the Fundamental Rights Enforcement Procedure Rules of 2009, allows him to serve the agents of the respondent. But  Justice Anka adjourned ruling on the case till August 16 after after listening to the submissions of counsel to Evans, Olukoya Ogungbeje and that of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad and the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Emmanuel Eze.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Floyd Mayweather teases potential UFC bout by stepping inside the octagon as Conor McGregor responds with 'f*** the Mayweathers'

Floyd Mayweather has teased a the idea of himself fighting in the UFC in recent months and the boxing icon went one step further on Tuesday, posting a video of himself stepping into a mixed martial arts cage. With no caption accompanying the clip, The Money Team leader can be seen entering an octagon before pacing up and down as if he were about to engage in an actual MMA bout.  And Conor McGregor, the man who entered the boxing ring to fight Mayweather in a money-spinning Las Vegas showdown in August last year, was quick to notice. He wrote on Twitter: 'Hahahaha very good. Keep up the good work my son. Yours sincerely, Senior.'  The Irishman followed up his response with a picture of himself and his son with the caption *f*** the Mayweathers'. Mayweather set fans' pulses racing last month when he claimed he had been approached by the UFC about a potential MMA fight.  'They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back,' he said. 'I can come righ…

Chelsea complete £17.5million deal for defender Emerson Palmieri from Roma

Roma defender Emerson Palmieri has completed his £17.5million move to Chelsea. Palmieri posed for pictures with the shirt on Tuesday evening after completing his medical and penning a four-and-a-half year contract. The Brazilian, who has been assigned the No 33 shirt at Chelsea, left his home in Rome to fly to London earlier in the day.  The 23-year-old left-back underwent several medical tests before putting pen to paper to move to Stamford Bridge. 'I came here because it’s a great team with a great history,' Emerson said. 'Today I am realising one of my dreams to pull on the shirt of such a great club. ‘English football is something I have been watching since I was 15 years old. It is a really beautiful game over here but it is going to be even more beautiful to play it.’ Chelsea have agreed to pay a further £5.2m in bonuses for Palmieri, who is likely to be eligible to face Watford next Monday. The Brazilian had been lined up as part of a double swoop with Edin Dzeko, but Che…

Anthony Joshua working hard in the gym as he steps up preparations for Joseph Parker showdown

With just over two months to go until his return to the ring, Anthony Joshua is shaping up nicely after putting in the hard yards at the gym. The world heavyweight champion faces Joseph Parker at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on March 31, where he beat Carlos Takam in October. And trainer Jamie Reynolds has shared footage of the 28-year-old stepping up his preparations with various workouts in the gym. With the clock ticking ahead of the fight, Parker has outlined how he feels he can better his opponent. 'I want to fight a fight that's going to be a fast-paced fight… movement, speed and just different angles – I think that's how we are going to attack Joshua,' Parker told Radio Live. 'He's [Joshua] dominated fighters that stand in front of him, that don't move – all they do is protect themselves,' Parker said about Joshua. When it comes to finding a sparring partner, Parker is looking for a similar fighting style to his 6ft 5in, 240-pound opponent Joshua…