Skip to main content

Game of Thrones secrets revealed as HBO Twitter accounts hacked


After initial hack and ransom request, TV network suffers separate breach of social media accounts amid embarrassing leaks of unaired shows.

Several HBO Twitter accounts were hacked and taken over by the notorious OurMine hacking group, posting #HBOHacked messages and warnings about security.
OurMine took control of the main HBO Twitter account on Wednesday, as well as those for TV shows including Game of Thrones and Girls, posting its usual statement:
“Hi, OurMine are here, we are just testing your security, HBO team please contact us to upgrade the security.”
The messages from OurMine were removed within an hour of their appearance, with HBO seemingly taking back control of its accounts. An HBO spokesperson said the TV network was “investigating” the hack.
OurMine has a history of compromising sites and Twitter accounts, with high-profile victims including Google chief executive Sundar Pichai, Facebook chief executive Mark Zuckerberg, former Twitter boss Dick Costolo, young adult novelist Hank Green, Mark Zuckerberg’s sister Randi Zuckerberg, and actor Channing Tatum, as well as websites TechCrunch and Buzzfeed.
It is not known how OurMine infiltrated the Twitter accounts, but it could have found details in the systematic leaks of confidential information emerging from a hack that occurred in July, giving attackers access to 1.5TB of data, equivalent to several TV box sets or millions of documents.
The hackers holding HBO to ransom after the July attack leaked further sensitive information Wednesday, including files from the second season of the hit show Westworld and the seventh season Game of Thrones, revealing shooting diaries, schedules and potential spoilers.
The fresh dump of files was distributed by somebody calling themselves “Mr Smith” saying: “If history repeats itself HBO may never be the same again. Winter really is here.”
HBO declined to comment on the fresh leaks.
The hackers publicly demanded in excess of $6m (£4.6m) in ransom to prevent the release of unaired TV shows and confidential information in August. They dumped the personal contact details of Game of Thrones actors online alongside HBO network passwords and emails from the firm’s vice president for film programming.
They also leaked unaired episodes of Game of Thrones, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Insecure, Ballers, Barry and The Deuce, leading to HBO stating it would not participate further with the hackers after first offering a $250,000 bug bounty, potentially as a stalling tactic.
Separately, an error by its own Nordic and Spanish sites saw the sixth episode of HBO’s biggest hit, Game of Thrones, leak online ahead of its broadcast on Sunday. HBO blamed a third-party vendor for the error.
Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Floyd Mayweather teases potential UFC bout by stepping inside the octagon as Conor McGregor responds with 'f*** the Mayweathers'

Floyd Mayweather has teased a the idea of himself fighting in the UFC in recent months and the boxing icon went one step further on Tuesday, posting a video of himself stepping into a mixed martial arts cage. With no caption accompanying the clip, The Money Team leader can be seen entering an octagon before pacing up and down as if he were about to engage in an actual MMA bout.  And Conor McGregor, the man who entered the boxing ring to fight Mayweather in a money-spinning Las Vegas showdown in August last year, was quick to notice. He wrote on Twitter: 'Hahahaha very good. Keep up the good work my son. Yours sincerely, Senior.'  The Irishman followed up his response with a picture of himself and his son with the caption *f*** the Mayweathers'. Mayweather set fans' pulses racing last month when he claimed he had been approached by the UFC about a potential MMA fight.  'They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back,' he said. 'I can come righ…

Chelsea complete £17.5million deal for defender Emerson Palmieri from Roma

Roma defender Emerson Palmieri has completed his £17.5million move to Chelsea. Palmieri posed for pictures with the shirt on Tuesday evening after completing his medical and penning a four-and-a-half year contract. The Brazilian, who has been assigned the No 33 shirt at Chelsea, left his home in Rome to fly to London earlier in the day.  The 23-year-old left-back underwent several medical tests before putting pen to paper to move to Stamford Bridge. 'I came here because it’s a great team with a great history,' Emerson said. 'Today I am realising one of my dreams to pull on the shirt of such a great club. ‘English football is something I have been watching since I was 15 years old. It is a really beautiful game over here but it is going to be even more beautiful to play it.’ Chelsea have agreed to pay a further £5.2m in bonuses for Palmieri, who is likely to be eligible to face Watford next Monday. The Brazilian had been lined up as part of a double swoop with Edin Dzeko, but Che…

Anthony Joshua working hard in the gym as he steps up preparations for Joseph Parker showdown

With just over two months to go until his return to the ring, Anthony Joshua is shaping up nicely after putting in the hard yards at the gym. The world heavyweight champion faces Joseph Parker at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on March 31, where he beat Carlos Takam in October. And trainer Jamie Reynolds has shared footage of the 28-year-old stepping up his preparations with various workouts in the gym. With the clock ticking ahead of the fight, Parker has outlined how he feels he can better his opponent. 'I want to fight a fight that's going to be a fast-paced fight… movement, speed and just different angles – I think that's how we are going to attack Joshua,' Parker told Radio Live. 'He's [Joshua] dominated fighters that stand in front of him, that don't move – all they do is protect themselves,' Parker said about Joshua. When it comes to finding a sparring partner, Parker is looking for a similar fighting style to his 6ft 5in, 240-pound opponent Joshua…