Skip to main content

ABUJA - APC behind insecurity in Anambra, wants state of emergency – Gov. Obiano



Ahead of  the November 18 governorship election in his state, the Anambra State Governor, Willie Obiano, has accused the ruling All Progressives Congress,  APC, of trying to plunge the state into crisis in order to use its federal might to impose a state of emergency.

But the police promptly responded by describing governor Wike’s statement as deceitful. Meanwhile, Governor Obiano, who reacted to calls on him by the APC national chairman to write his hand-over note, said  “No doubt this statement, which we consider as coming from not just Chief Oyegun but from the ruling APC is a clear threat to Nigeria’s democracy and security in Anambra State. “We have it on good authority that they have been working at various options including an attempt to foment insecurity in the state to pave way for a state of emergency as a prelude to their take-over. What this requires is that Anambra people and Nigerians in general, especially lovers of democracy and good governance should be alert.


 “It has again re-affirmed the undemocratic nature of many APC apostles and this is unfortunate for our nation, especially at this critical point in our history when democratic tenets should be nurtured,” he said. In a statement in Abuja by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Strategic Communications, Prince Oliver Okpala, the governor accused the APC national chairman of lacking integrity and moral ground to speak on good governance, saying he does not have such record. “Oyegun’s declaration that his rudderless party will take over Anambra is also an unfortunate exposure of that undemocratic spirit and cancer that has befallen the APC. If what we practice is true democracy, where democracy is the government of the people, for the people and by the people, Oyegun could not have made such an unguarded utterance. “If unchecked, APC’s negative political appetite will mean that the up-coming elections and the inherent display of the power of choice by the electorate will all be an exercise in futility. 

For them , since they control the Federal Government which is in charge of the crucial agencies such as INEC , the Police and other security agencies,   then their sinister motive would be easily achieved. “The naked truth is that if anything untoward happens in Anambra, the world should hold Oyegun responsible. Power is given by God and must not be sought for by killing and devilish orchestration. A destructive means cannot bring about a constructive end. “Democracy is about the people, and its powers and legitimacy should flow from the ballot box, not the barrel of the gun, even as seemingly unattractive as that is. So, Oyegun and the APC must accept that reality, and refrain from their evil plot to forcefully remove Obiano from office come  November 18 governorship election in Anambra State. “His declaration that ‘APC must take over Anambra’ is a signal that they are bent on forcefully overturning the will of the people who are the true custodians of democracy. Sadly, this is not the first time APC chieftains are making such calamitous declarations. 

Governor Rochas Okorocha of Imo State had earlier said so when he inaugurated an illegal, thuggery gang which he said he will use to override the will of the electorate in Anambra, as if Anambra was a battlefield. “Granted, as Oyegun said, Anambra is crucial to their plot of making inroads into the South East, but must that be achieved through undemocratic means which often leads to bloodletting and mayhem?” The statement also recalled how the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige had made similar remarks, saying “the implication of this is that the APC has contrived a grave plot to undermine the will of the Anambra electorate, to forcefully take over the governance of Anambra State. “Instead of working genuinely to win the love of the people of Anambra as required in a democratic setting, the APC leaders who know that  Obiano has performed creditably are rather working out sinister plots to unseat him.” He however called on all Nigerians, especially the Anambrans to be vigilant and prepare against “any evil plot by the Oyegun-led APC to perpetrate rigging in the forthcoming election.” 

On his part, Governor Wike, who accused the police of being responsible for most kidnapping in the country, also alleged that the APC was already laying the structures to rig the 2019 general election through the promotion of indicted police officers. He made the allegations at a state banquet he gave members of the African Bar Association at Government House, Port Harcourt  on Monday  night. Mr. Wike said the police promoted Akin Fakorede, the Rivers State Special Anti-Robbery Squad, SARS, commander, whom he alleged was filmed at a collation centre rigging election and beating up electoral officials. He said the police also promoted an Assistant Commissioner of Police, Steven Hasso, “For his criminal role in the rigging of rerun elections  on December 10, 2016. “They promised Nigerians change, but we are seeing nothing. The former President of Tanzania by his visit has done us much good by his presence in Nigeria.  Through him, we will send a  message  to the world. “Democracy in Nigeria is gone. By 2019, nobody should talk about democracy.   

One Mr Akin Fakorede who was caught on video rigging election has been promoted.   Stephen Hasso, who was also a culprit in the rigging  of election has been promoted.   Both of them are to be positioned in Rivers State for 2019 to help the APC rig elections.” He added that  APC had made it a policy to intimidate and destroy the judiciary. He claimed that the situation has degenerated to the level that  police had taken over the duty of  INEC by allegedly certifying election results for APC to use at tribunals. 

The governor said that the police under the current dispensation has become a major stumbling block to the investment drive of the country as they deliberately generate insecurity. Denying Wike’s allegation, police spokesperson,  Jimoh Moshood told Premium Times, “Everybody knows the antics of Governor Wike. You people should disregard such statements. The Nigeria Police is not promoting any crime. In fact, we are fighting crime with all the resources at our disposal. “I want people to disregard such statement we have made a lot of progress in terms of fighting crime and criminality.” Moshood said that the promotion of senior police officers was done by the Police Service Commission. “I am not aware of any promotion like that. Promotion is not done by the IGP of the Nigeria Police Force, it is done by the Police Service Commission. And to the best of my ability, the commission has not released any list of promoted officers. Anything that has to do with promotion, the commission is in charge.”

Source: Vanguard Newspaper

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Floyd Mayweather teases potential UFC bout by stepping inside the octagon as Conor McGregor responds with 'f*** the Mayweathers'

Floyd Mayweather has teased a the idea of himself fighting in the UFC in recent months and the boxing icon went one step further on Tuesday, posting a video of himself stepping into a mixed martial arts cage. With no caption accompanying the clip, The Money Team leader can be seen entering an octagon before pacing up and down as if he were about to engage in an actual MMA bout.  And Conor McGregor, the man who entered the boxing ring to fight Mayweather in a money-spinning Las Vegas showdown in August last year, was quick to notice. He wrote on Twitter: 'Hahahaha very good. Keep up the good work my son. Yours sincerely, Senior.'  The Irishman followed up his response with a picture of himself and his son with the caption *f*** the Mayweathers'. Mayweather set fans' pulses racing last month when he claimed he had been approached by the UFC about a potential MMA fight.  'They just called me not too long ago and asked me to come back,' he said. 'I can come righ…

Chelsea complete £17.5million deal for defender Emerson Palmieri from Roma

Roma defender Emerson Palmieri has completed his £17.5million move to Chelsea. Palmieri posed for pictures with the shirt on Tuesday evening after completing his medical and penning a four-and-a-half year contract. The Brazilian, who has been assigned the No 33 shirt at Chelsea, left his home in Rome to fly to London earlier in the day.  The 23-year-old left-back underwent several medical tests before putting pen to paper to move to Stamford Bridge. 'I came here because it’s a great team with a great history,' Emerson said. 'Today I am realising one of my dreams to pull on the shirt of such a great club. ‘English football is something I have been watching since I was 15 years old. It is a really beautiful game over here but it is going to be even more beautiful to play it.’ Chelsea have agreed to pay a further £5.2m in bonuses for Palmieri, who is likely to be eligible to face Watford next Monday. The Brazilian had been lined up as part of a double swoop with Edin Dzeko, but Che…

Anthony Joshua working hard in the gym as he steps up preparations for Joseph Parker showdown

With just over two months to go until his return to the ring, Anthony Joshua is shaping up nicely after putting in the hard yards at the gym. The world heavyweight champion faces Joseph Parker at Cardiff's Principality Stadium on March 31, where he beat Carlos Takam in October. And trainer Jamie Reynolds has shared footage of the 28-year-old stepping up his preparations with various workouts in the gym. With the clock ticking ahead of the fight, Parker has outlined how he feels he can better his opponent. 'I want to fight a fight that's going to be a fast-paced fight… movement, speed and just different angles – I think that's how we are going to attack Joshua,' Parker told Radio Live. 'He's [Joshua] dominated fighters that stand in front of him, that don't move – all they do is protect themselves,' Parker said about Joshua. When it comes to finding a sparring partner, Parker is looking for a similar fighting style to his 6ft 5in, 240-pound opponent Joshua…