This blog is dedicated to informing her visitors on latest trends in sports.
Job Vacancy: Land Policy Drafter at Legal Action Worldwide, Nairobi, Kenya - ONGOING RECRUITMENT
LAW is an independent, non-governmental organisation comprised of a network and think tank of prominent human rights lawyers and advisors. It provides innovative legal assistance to the least represented people, especially women and children, in fragile and conflict-affected states. It specialises in cases of forcible displacement and sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV). LAW’s biggest programme is in Somalia.
LAW is currently working on a project supported by UN-Habitat to build the capacity of the Land Dispute Tribunals (LDTs) in Somaliland and the more informal land dispute resolution committees in Puntland, Somalia. The LDTs are governed by a Regulation (Regulation 1/2015) under the Urban Land Management Law (Law No 17/2001). The land dispute resolution committees are informal bodies not established pursuant to any law. An agreement has been reached by relevant actors on the recommendation of LAW to amend Regulation 1/2015 and to draft a Regulation to govern the land dispute resolution committees in Puntland.
LAW is now seeking a land law expert with expertise in drafting land laws, policies or regulations to amend the Somaliland Regulation and draft the Puntland Regulation. These Regulations will be very similar in substance. The role will be based in Nairobi with one trip each to Somaliland and Puntland. The successful application will preferably based in the East and Horn of Africa region. This position is offered on a consultancy basis for a period of eighteen days.
· Amending the Regulation 1/2015 on the establishment, governance and functioning of the Land Dispute Tribunals in Somaliland;
· Drafting a Regulation to provide for the establishment, governance and functioning of the land dispute resolution committee in Puntland;
· Attending and assisting in facilitating stakeholder workshops in Somaliland and Puntland and inputting feedback from these workshops into the Regulations.
Job tasks include
· Reading reports provided by LAW on the context and legal framework in Somalia, in particular the report on the land dispute mechanisms written by LAW and supported by UN-Habitat in 2015, and doing independent research on any other topics that may be relevant to this assignment;
· Becoming familiar with all relevant land laws in each region, and in particular the the Urban Land Management Law and Regulation 1/2015 in Somaliland;
· Assisting in drafting the agenda and materials for stakeholder workshops on recommended reforms to the Land Dispute Tribunals and the land dispute resolution committees;
· Drafting Regulations based on the recommendations in previous reports and agreement with LAW about their contents;
· Attending the stakeholder workshop and deciding afterwards with LAW staff how to input feedback into the draft Regulations;
· Joining periodic conference calls with LAW and UN-Habitat staff on project updates and ways forward;
· Any other relevant tasks as determined by the Legal Advisor or Executive Director.
· Qualified lawyer or legal expert with not less than ten years professional experience in land law;
· Demonstrated experience in drafting legislation, policies or regulations;
· Experience in working with land dispute resolution mechanisms;
· Experience in presenting at or facilitating workshops or conferences on land law issues;
· Experience working in conflict or post-conflict states an asset;
· Understanding of Somali history, culture and context an asset;
· Fluency in English;
· Excellent analytical, organisational and communication skills;